The Intro to Handguns course is a 6-8 hour basic level training course with classroom and range instruction. This course is ideal for anyone new to handguns, and/or anyone considering purchasing their first new gun. Starting with a heavy emphasis on safety and practicality, we cover a lot more than “just the basics” in this course.
** SUMMER HOURS: Friday 4pm to 6pm in Classroom. Sat 7am to 2pm on the range. **
Students will need: Eye and Hearing protection, handgun (semi-auto or revolver), 100 rounds of training ammunition, note-taking material, plenty of water & snacks for the range, and weather appropriate attire.
Rental Handguns are available upon coordinated request – let us know if you’re planning to rent when you register! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate rentals, or with questions.
Must be lawfully allowed to train with firearms.
What this course covers
- Intro to Safety
- Universal Safe Gun Handling Rules
- Components of Handguns (Revolvers and Semis)
- Features and Functions
- Components and Types of Ammunition
- Terms and definitions
- Maintenance and Cleaning
- Disassembly, Inspection and re-assembly of handguns
- Safe Storage of Firearms
- Intro to Fundamentals of Marksmanship (classroom)
- Grip, Stance and Aiming
- Relocate to the Private Range
- Range Safety and Safe Gun Handling on the Range
- Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Loading and Unloading
- Live-Fire shooting drills, Slow-fire for Accuracy (100 Rounds Minimum)
- Course Completion, Summary
Eye / Hearing Protection
Handgun: Revolver or Semi-Automatic of .22 LR caliber or greater.
(No single-action “cowboy” guns)
Spare magazines, speed strips (for revolvers) and/or speed loaders
A minimum of 100 rounds of target ammunition
Water, snacks/ag lunch, and sunscreen as appropriate
Weather appropriate attire for the private outdoor range (no sandals or open-toed footwear)
Rental Guns and Gear available upon coordinated request.